Texas Law for Intoxicated Truck Driver Accidents in Texas
Drink and driving is a serious crime that carries heavy penalties such as license suspension, heavy fines and jail.
If your family got injured by a semi truck accident, it’s time to put the responsible driver behind the bar. You can contact Houston Truck Accident Lawyer to do further investigation at the accident scene and prove the liability of a truck driver. An experience lawyer can help you in every way- whether you need medical assistance, financial compensation or justice for a wrongful death.
According to Texas Transportation Center, 13, 592 people were killed in a 18 wheeler truck accident because of drunken driver in 2019. Texas has strict regulations for commercial truck drivers, semi-truck drivers, and 18-wheeler drivers to run trucks on Houston roads. All the drivers have to pass a physical examination and have a clean driving record. Drivers are not allowed to drive for more than 11 hours in a day. And after driving for 8 hours, they should take a 30-minute break. They can only drive a total of 70 hours in 7 days or 80 hours in 8 days. If they violate any of these rules, their license can be suspended.
If a truck driver is caught driving while intoxicated, their license will be automatically suspended for 180 days. They will also have to go to jail for a minimum of 72 hours. If they are found to be driving under the influence of drugs, their license will be suspended for 1 year. It is against the law to operate a commercial truck while intoxicated. If a truck driver is caught driving under the influence of alcohol, they can face severe penalties including jail time, fines, and the loss of their commercial driver’s license (CDL). Contact an 18 wheeler accident attorney right away if you meet with such accident!
Truck Driver Responsibilities in Texas
If you are a victim of a serious truck accident, you should be aware with the responsibilities & duties, a truck driver has to follow while riding a truck in Texas. If they fail to follow the rules, they can be found responsible for the accident. You can prove their negligence or reckless behavior easily!
- A truck driver is responsible for the operation of a commercial motor vehicle. In Texas, this includes any vehicle weighing over 26,000 pounds, or any vehicle hauling hazardous materials.
- The truck driver is responsible for obeying all traffic laws and regulations, as well as maintaining a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- The truck driver is also responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is properly maintained and stocked with required supplies. This includes checking the vehicle’s oil and tire pressure regularly, as well as keeping the cab and sleeping area clean.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the truck driver must also keep a log of their hours on the road. This log must be accurate and up-to-date, as it is used to ensure that the driver is not exceeding the legal limit for hours of operation.
- Truck drivers in Texas must also adhere to strict safety regulations. This includes wearing a seatbelt at all times, and avoiding distracted driving.
If a truck driver is caught violating any of these regulations, they may found guilty of a serious car accident or car crash with their truck. Call car crash lawyer Houston to fight for your right!
Next Thing You Should Do After Hit By DUI Truck Driver?
The first thing you should do after being hit by a DUI truck driver is to seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, it is important to get checked out by a doctor or go to the emergency room. Some injuries, such as internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent. It is also important to get documentation of any injuries for future use, if necessary.
After you have sought medical attention, the next thing you should do is contact an 18 wheeler accident lawyer who specializes in DUI truck accidents. An experienced attorney will be able to investigate the accident, gather evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. He or she will also be able to negotiate with the insurance company.
Contact Our Attorney for a Free Quote!
It’s not only the truck driver with whom a victim has to deal with; there are lots of other liable parties who may involved in a truck accidents such as truck manufacturing company or a trucking company. If you need any legal assistance in fighting for what you deserve, meet our car wreck attorney Houston today!